1. Loaded with potent antioxidants – unlike dark processed chocolate, raw cacao in its true form, has up to four times the quantity of antioxidants found in green tea. Health benefits of these antioxidants include:
a. oligomeric procynanidins: protects against free radicals that cause cardiovascular disease, lowers cholesterol levels, and reduces risk of stroke and heart attacks
b. resveratrol: anti-inflammatory nutrient that helps protect your nervous system and improves your body’s ability to cope with demands of stress
c. polyphenols: slows the ageing process and prevents degenerative diseases and may reduce the risk of certain cancers
d. serotonin: cacao raises the level of serotonin in the brain; thus acts as an anti-depressant, helps reduce PMS symptoms, and promotes a sense of well-being
2. Feel the love – full of phenethylamin (PEA), is the feel good neurotransmitter responsible for the feeling of love and increases focus and alertness.
3. Weight Loss - is another benefit of eating raw cacao because of its high chromium and coumarin content.
4. It is rich in minerals - magnesium, iron, potassium, calcium, zinc, copper and manganese.
5. High in essential fats - cacao contains oleic acid, a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, also found in olive oil, that may raise good cholesterol.
Click here for Raw Cacao Mouse Recipe