Preparation: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour Serves: 4
1 bunch of organic beetroot, ends trimmed, cut into quarters
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
1-2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon tahini
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1/4 cup of lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of roasted pistachio, roughly chopped
Garnish with pistachio, cumin, mint chopped and olive oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Place beetroot quarters in foil and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper and add fresh thyme, bake for 1 hour or until tender.
2. Place cumin in a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat and roast for 1 minute.
3. Place the roasted beetroot, chickpeas, garlic, tahini, 1 teaspoon of cumin and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor and whiz to a paste. With the motor running, slowly add the oil through the feed tube until mixture is thick and smooth.
4. Serve the hummus in a bowl and sprinkle with pistachio, the additional teaspoon of cumin and a drizzle of olive oil.
5. Enjoy with my gluten free Zucchini and Walnut Bread.