Preparation time: 45 minutes
1 head organic green cabbage, shredded in a food processor (put aside two outer leaves for rolling for step 10)
1 organic diakon, shredded in a food processor
1 large organic carrot, shredded in a food processor
1 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt (Celtic sea salt, Pink Himalayan)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
Add 1 scoop of Donna Gates' EcoBloom, this is optional
1. Begin preparing vegetable mixture.
2. Combine all veggies, seeds, and herbs in a very large bowl.
3. Remove approximately ½ of the above mixture and put into a blender.
4. Add enough filtered water to blender to create a "brine" the consistency of thick juice.
5. Blend well then add EcoBloom to this brine.
6. Add brine with culture back into veggies, fennel seeds and herbs from step one.
7. Mix together well.
8. Pack mixture down into 1 litre glass jar as necessary to hold all the mixture. Use your fist to pack veggies very tightly. You want to force out most of the air.
9. Fill container almost full, but leave about 4 centimeters of room at the top for veggies to expand.
10. Roll up several outer cabbage leaves into a tight "log" and place them on top to fill the remaining 2-inch space. Clamp jar closed, or screw on lid very tightly.
11. Let veggies sit at room temperature, somewhere dark, for at least a week. Two weeks maybe even better. Refrigerate immediately upon opening, this will slow down fermentation.
12. Aim for 1 large forkful of cultured veggies with every meal.
Enjoy my Raw Cultured Vegetables: Homemade Kim Chi recipe