Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 8 minutes Serves: 2
1 cup of white quinoa
2 bunches flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked, roughly chopped
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley stalks, finely chopped
1 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
Handful of activated almonds with skin removed
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeds removed, finely diced
1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, seeds removed, finely diced
juice of 1/2 lemon
50ml extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Soak quinoa overnight or up to 6 hours – this ensures that it digests easily. (optional)
2. Before cooking, quinoa must be rinsed to remove the toxic (but naturally occurring) bitter coating, called saponin. Saponin, when removed from quinoa, produces a soapy solution in water. Quinoa is rinsed before it is packaged and sold, but it is best to rinse again at home before use.
3. Place quinoa in a grain strainer and rinse thoroughly with water. Add it into a medium pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Then lower heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from heat when done and rinse if residual water. Leave to cool.
4. Combine quinoa with herbs, almonds, garlic, tomato, cucumber and mix well.
5. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil and season to taste. Pour over salad, toss and serve immediately. Enjoy!