I wait with anticipation for February to arrive, as this is the time my favorite fruit in the world is cultivated - Figs! Figs can trace their history back to the earliest of times and were considered as a sacred fruit, revered by the Egyptians, Greeks and Italians.
Figs are known to be the healthiest fruit in the world and great source of fiber, vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese and pantothenic acid. Health benefits include;
1. Help lower high blood pressure
2. Increase cardiovascular health
3. Protective against postmenopausal breast cancer
4. Fig leaves can be eaten, and are insulin-lowering for Diabetics
5. Positive effect on weight loss
Now is the time to knock on your neighbors door as ask to pick some of their most ripened figs (for most antioxidants) to create The World’s Most Sexiest Salad, inspired by Jamie Oliver – Fig and Prosciutto Salad with Mozzarella, Honey, Basil.
Fig and Prosciutto Salad with Mozzarella, Honey, Basil
Preparation time: 10 minutes Serves: 2
4 organic figs
4 slices prosciutto
4 balls of buffalo mozzarella or cow mozzarella
Green or purple basil or both
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Make two incisions with a knife, like a criss-cross effect on top of the figs, 3/4 of the way down. Squeeze the base of the fig to expose the inside.
2. Simply place the figs in a dish, weave around 1 slice prosciutto per fig, tear the mozzarella and rip over some green or purple basil.
3. Mix the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, honey and some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper together in a bowl and drizzle everything with this dressing.